Top Attractions in Edinburgh
Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland and is the second largest after Glasgow. The city is located in the south eastern part of Scotland and is known for the medieval monuments that are finest examples of the Gothic style of architecture.
Some of the attractions of Edinburgh are:
1. Edinburgh Castle: This is a highly visited place by the tourists. The castle is the home to the Edinburgh Tattoo and is a magnificent royal fortress that is situated on the highest points of the city. It was made more than one thousand years ago and is still in perfect condition.
2. Royal Botanic Garden: This garden is the second oldest in the world. This is an interesting place where researches as well as tourist activities keep going on. It is a good place for picnic with family and friends.
3. Edinburgh Zoo: This place can be a good option if you would like to go for outing with kids. The zoo is famous all over the world for its penguin parade. You can see other animals like Rhino, Tiger, Polar Bear, Koalas and much more. The zoo has initiated a number of research projects and programmes for the conservation and breeding of the species who are today on the verge of extinction.
4. Museum of Childhood: This place will surely make you relive your childhood. The place is one of the most popular places of Edinburgh. The museum was opened in 1955 by Patrick Murray and is first of its kind in the world. There is a huge collection of dolls, trains, bicycles, teddy bears and toys that have been collected from all over the world.
5. Saint Giles Cathedral: This is a major landmark in the city of Edinburgh. This is not a cathedral as it doesn’t have any bishop. The church is the largest church of Presbyterianism and has the chapel of the order of the thistle.
6. The Scotch Whiskey Heritage Center: This place is for the scotch and whiskey lovers. You can take an opportunity to taste some of the best whiskies that were brewed in 19th century.
7. Royal Yacht Britannia:After serving the Royal household for a long time, the Royal Yacht has found a new home in Edinburgh. Britannia offers you a golden chance to see the royal apartments. There are a number of royal gifts that are on display which were given by dignitaries all over the world. This place is voted as “Best New Attractions of Edinburgh.”
8. The Edinburgh Festival:This festival falls in the months of July to September that makes it a best time to visit Edinburgh.